Friday, July 17, 2009

cell phones, twitter, and trust... oh my!

after reading fellow mac-er mike jahnke's post on the use and abuse of technology in the classroom (http://mijahnke.blogspot.com/2009/07/tweet.html#comment-form), and replying to his post with a short comment about my muddled thoughts on the issue, i felt i should expand on my thoughts... and what better forum to do so in than a blog?

my comment: "i've thought about this quite a bit in the past few weeks, and i'm glad you addressed it in your blog... when planning our leadership presentation for eugenie's class, my group discussed using the cell phone polls and perhaps twitter (to some extent) to increase student participation and engagement in the material. however, because many secondary mac-ers are new to the world of tweeting and texting, worry about whether they will use these technologies for school material instead of personal wasn't really present... this is a really valid question, and one we'll have to grapple with in our own classrooms and educational careers!"

this post and comment bring me to my most recent musing on the matter: so what if students are using these technologies for personal use as well as educational? i'd be lying if i said i didn't send a few personal texts during class in high school (perhaps more than a few), and i wonder, if i had been given the privilege to use my cell phone sparingly in class, would i have continued to abuse it the way i had? i'm a strong proponent of trusting relationships between students and educators, and perhaps this idealism will get me in some trouble in my early years of teaching... that being said, when we discussed punishments and the student handbook in eugenie's class, i was shocked to see how serious the administration found some mild offenses- suspension and a failing grade for "cheating" (seemingly without needing proof of the offense) and suspension for cell phone use during the school day, just to name a few. why is it we immediately assume the worst from those young people we want the best for? and how is sending a child away from school for several days a useful tool for helping that same student learn and mature? perhaps if we award students the trust we expect them to give us, they will surprise us with their actions...

5 comments:

  1. I appreciated your comment to this effect in class, Caitlin, and here as well. In different ways, Liz and I will speak a lot about opportunities, and as we discussed in class, this could be a great one. Kids are very used to having behavioral expectations imposed on them...this is familiar, and many develop sophisticated mechanisms for navigating around such expectations. I rather like the idea of a public discussion of expectations and responsibilities, going both ways. My belief is that if kids are a part of that process they are more invested in it, with the added bonus that they feel respected. I'm very glad to see you thinking through these issues, Caitlin. You are both thoughtful and persuasive here, and it will be exciting to put some of your ideas into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caitlin, I agree that the handbooks in Eugenie's class was very extreme. I also agree that we should assume the best of students and try to use discipline to help them learn, not condemn them. HOWEVER, I still think that I will be very careful when and how to use laptops, cell phones, etc in class. I just feel that it is too big of a temptation. I am basing this on my behaviors. I try very hard to be respectful with my computer respecting the person presenting, but.... it is so easy to flip open my laptop and get sucked in to my email or whatever. I have good intentions. I mean well. I mean no disrespect, but I can't avoid the temptation at times. I also know that I am not paying any attention when I get into my computer. I think technology can be fun and interesting, but I still think I am going to proceed cautiously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Caitlin on the use of tech in classes and the issue of trust. I was not shocked at the punitive school policies. I just wish I was. I feel as if the students and teachers discussed together in a mutual enviroment of trust and respect classroom policies, it would go a long way in classroom envirment. As far as tech being used for noneducational purposes--students getting distracted is inevitable. If they didn't have phones and computers they'd be writing notes. If there was a discussion at the beginning about what the students and teacher felt was reasonable tech rules, that might mitigate it. Plus, so a student screws around for a little while. Again, inevitable. The atmosphere of trust and respect would be worth a little distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I like your thoughts on this, Caitlin. I agree that if we give students valid reasons to use it in class, they will be grateful for the trust and many of them will not abuse the privilege. I'm not positive that it will work, but cell phone usage is such a big problem in schools that I am willing to try anything to remedy the problem.

    That being said, we really do have to watch for cell phones in class during exams. I have had to fail numerous kids (the teacher's request) for texting their friends answers during tests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caitlin,

    I definitely agree with your blog post. It is very hard to use technology in the classroom without it being abused. I would like to think that if I gave my students some form of technology they would use it appropriately, but I realize that is unrealistic. And I can say that from personal experience. Right now I am writing on your blog instead of listening to Pat...woops!

    ReplyDelete