Thursday, July 9, 2009

Imagining a Classroom

Because the first assignment for Education 504 was to draw my ideal classroom and the technology in it, I set my sights on "technology" and tried my hardest to think of something other than a laptop to include in the room.  However, the more I racked my brain, the more apparent it became that the computers, televisions, and projectors were the least important parts of my classroom vision.  Therefore, a bit of erasing (okay, a lot of erasing) and an hour or so later, I had a classroom with windows, moveable desks and chairs, a small garden, bookshelves, whiteboards (chalk-on-board is slightly painful for me, but I could handle a blackboard, I guess), a teacher's desk, and - as an afterthought - a small cart with a laptop and projector on it. 

It took at least ten revisions of my drawing to get it just right, and it still needs a bit of work.  I hope, though, that the moveable parts in my dream classroom will allow for revision on a daily basis... the clusters of tables and chairs can move to accommodate almost any activity and the shelves and sinks near the "garden" (read: plants growing in the window, accompanied by supplies such as soil, watering cans, seeds, etc) can be repurposed if the students decide there is alternative activity or setup they'd like in its place.  Because the classroom dynamic is subject to change, the classroom must be dynamic in order to support change.

Of course, I often wonder how feasible such a classroom is.  Generally speaking, most schools can provide desks and chairs, white/blackboards, and other necessary supplies, and my technological requests are not very substantial, but the bookshelves and the windows and space for growing plants are less likely... I can provide the books and buy the seeds and watering cans, but in a windowless classroom, will they be able to grow?

(... that was supposed to be a pretty heavy allegory)

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT was deep... ;) I really like your idea of a dynamic classroom, one that is constantly evolving. I think that too many teachers keep a rigid classroom (and by extension, a rigid mind-set). Our ability to adapt and adjust to the students' needs is going to be one of the most important skills we develop. With that idea in mind, you're classroom looks like one where I would want my kids to learn! (WHEN I have them..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I also like the idea of the dynamic classroom. I think that your class idea is very feasible, it just may take some creativity and adaptivity to shape it how you want. Maybe its my love for bio but I think that plants/animals can be important in a classroom, and I think your choice to have a garden of some sort is a good move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, Caitlin, I think you're doing the most important work with regard to envisioning your classroom. My conjecture is that if you devote your energy to creating a space that is conducive to the kinds of human interactions you hope to support, and the kinds of connections to the natural world you see as being vital, then everything else will follow in its time.

    ReplyDelete