Sunday, October 25, 2009

answer: to blog

though i am not wild about blogging (http://caitcull.blogspot.com/2009/10/to-blog-or-not-to-blog.html), there are some ed tech requirements that i must fulfill, and fulfill them i will! which brings me to my most recent high school classroom musings...

as a graduate student well-trained in the art of getting by in school, class requirements are laws i always choose to follow, even when i don't like or agree with them. this mindset, coupled with a handful of other personal attributes, helped me make it through that place they call "high school" and has carried me through post-secondary schooling. requirements, mandates, and compulsories don't necessarily strike fear in my heart, but they do have a strange power over some of my better senses... no matter how last-minute i may complete an assignment, i always complete it because it says i should on the syllabus. 

this raises two sets of questions, neither of which i can really answer:

1. how does one acquire this fear of getting a zero on an assignment? could i instill this same quality in my tenth graders who overwhelmingly have yet to turn in a single assignment (including classwork)? 

2. do i want students to fear the consequences of not turning in an assignment? would hoping for such an attitude diminish students' capacity to think critically about their surroundings and prevalent power structures?

i understand the importance of classwork and homework in checking student comprehension... yet, if students are not completing this work, how meaningful are these assessments? is keeping track of that long string of zeros in a gradebook benefitting the student in any way, particularly when that same student doesn't take any actions to change her/his grade? and do those zeros help the teacher in her/his job to educate that same pupil?

5 comments:

  1. Those are some good thoughts...I often find myself desperate and panicked to complete an assignment, not because I'm concerned about learning the material, but because the syllabus said so and I don't want a zero. In a way it makes me sad to think my students would do the same thing, after all, I want them to learn, remember, and utilize the information, not mindlessly and carelessly complete a task so that they can check it off their list of requirements. I guess it leads me to thinking about the point of getting an education and attending school and the idea that maybe we're chasing after the wrong thing (degrees verses knowledge).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are interesting questions. Let me know if you get the answer to the 'how do I strike fear' one, because I think that would prove useful to me, as well.
    P.S. Good workin' with ya in the clay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to answer a question with a question. To "does it do a student any good to track a string of zeros in the grade book?", does it do a student any good not to track the zeros? By that I mean, are we just sending the message that if you don't feel like doing the work, don't worry about it, no consequences? I don't have the answer. I know the dynamic is much different in the school you are in. I suppose maybe the goal is to keep them coming to school and get them to learn something. I have had a general aww at the number of students that just don't care and have no concern for consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. to address your point, kerri, i'm conflicted about this as well... i just watched a marking period go by where most classes had more Fs than any other grade, and where one class with the highest grades had 4 As and 2 Bs. i can't help but wonder how reminding students with bad academic records that they're failing is helpful... yet i don't want students to think that they can neglect their work and still do well while some students who are really trying can barely make the grade. additionally, in most instances, my school doesn't require students to repeat classes they've failed- so, if they're not going to have to come back and learn the content at a later date, what effect are we hoping for with not passing them? just some thoughts i've been havin...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola chica,

    This is what I think is missing in most education programs: before you can engage a student in "HOT" or "higher leverage practice" you have to REACH that student. Of course, there's no magic wand that can motivate students, but understanding the student can help you understand the zeros...

    Does this student even care about what's going on in school or are there bigger issues going on in the student's life?

    Is there a specific reason why the student doesn't care about what's going on?

    I'm reading this book "Why Education is Useless" (which I found in the UGLi) and the basic premise is that education rarely applies to students' lives. Therefore, unless a student is doing whatever's necessary because he or she sees a reward in it (e.g. college admission, a job where this information is useful), the student flat out won't do it.

    I keep going on and on about these movies, but I think everyone who's going into urban education needs to see and discuss movies like "Precious" and "The Blind Side".

    Until education programs and schools get over improving test scores and focus on improving the students' lives (which SHOULD be the objective of education), my guess is that nothing will change.

    And nothing will change unless advocates speak up :D

    ReplyDelete