Sunday, October 25, 2009

to blog or not to blog?

i've been putting off blog posting for quite some time now, and it is with great trepidation that i write this first post after the summer... having been in my placement school for almost two months now, there is plenty to talk/write/vent/brag about with my mac colleagues (and really anyone willing to read/listen)! and for the past two months, i've done exactly that in almost every monday-thursday evening class. so why repeat the same sentiments in written form on this blog? 

the answer: i have no idea. 

actually, let me amend my answer a bit... i generally understand the intent of getting secondary mac-ers to write new blog posts, comment on others' blogs, listen to podcasts, and eventually do some live-blogging. requiring us grad students to participate in these forms of media and expression encourages the ongoing use of these forms long after graduation and into our professional lives.  yet, i can't quite figure how to integrate these blogs and 'casts into the classroom, and keeping up with them for the express purpose of sharing my thoughts with those on the interwebs (read: other secondary mac-ers) is not a compelling enough reason for me to post more than the required amount. as i watch my time in grad school slowly trickle by, more and more the program becomes a sort of talking/writing/venting/bragging session, and less and less i find useful content to take away from classes... so, going above and beyond the 9+ hours per week already spent just jabbing away about everyone's placements, everyone's thoughts on educational issues, and everyone's hypotheses about appropriate reactions to problems in the classroom seems a bit gratuitous, no?

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this post, Caitlin. I certainly do not like the idea that the blogging assignment is a slightly higher-tech variation/location for doing things you're already doing (to excess?) elsewhere. I appreciate the candor, Caitlin, and I think both Liz and I would appreciate your returning to this issue at some point after you begin your full-time teaching...it'd be interesting for us (and surely useful) to follow your evolving thinking on this matter.

    ReplyDelete